How Does Examplify Detect Cheating? Everything To Know In 2023
Examplify is the most advanced software currently for identifying and preventing cheating in exams. Examiners use it to monitor exam irregularities during exams. Unfortunately, even innocent actions by exam takers can be construed to be cheating. So how does Examplify detect cheating?
How does Examplify detect cheating?
The answer is yes; Examplify can detect cheating. It uses a range of techniques to prevent and detect cheating. These include;
- Randomizing the location of answer options
- Prohibiting screengrabs
- Prohibiting copy/paste
- Locking down devices during exams
- Detecting and reporting unusual behavior
- Monitoring device usage using a camera
Examplify uses an effective method of identifying cheating. It can detect behaviors that are not typical of a human test taker as opposed to an automated system that one uses to answer questions.
This is how Examplify detects cheating;
- Rapid mouse movements indicate using a script or other automated means of answering exam questions.
- Mouse movement without clicking on answer choices as the test taker looks for answers elsewhere on the screen.
- Inactivity from the test taker for more than a few seconds as they research using other means.
- The test taker’s very rapid clicks indicate the use of test-answering software.
Examplify also considers the following actions suspicious activity, which may be cheating.
- Taking a screenshot of the exam with a camera or other device.
- Opening other applications, such as browsers or word processors, during the exam.
- Interacting with other people during the exam.
- Looking around, at your phone, or accessing textbooks/devices and notes.
- Reading exam questions out loud.
- Leaving the room before the exam is complete.
- Plugging in or unplugging USB devices while the exam is in progress.
- Searching for answers using a search engine while taking an exam.
Can Examplify detect plagiarism?
Yes, it can. It takes screenshots of each student’s desktop before the exam starts. The software also takes screenshots of the student’s computer during the examination for potential future use in post-exam incident investigations. Additionally, it tracks all the applications you open while doing your exams.
READ ALSO: How to Write a Document-Based Question (DBQ)
Can Examplify detect if you use another device during the exam?
Not always. The software can only detect connections made via a VGA connection. For example, Examplify can detect switching to other devices on your computer using this method. However, it does not detect external monitors connected through an HDMI cable.
Note: Examplify exam monitor cannot detect open tabs on your computer or web browser.
Does Examplify monitor your webcam during exams?
Yes, it does. The Examplify program uses the webcam on your computer to monitor your eye movement during the exam and to limit the window of opportunity to open other software applications.
You are required to have a functioning webcam and microphone supported by Examplify. However, the software requires Permission before accessing your webcam and microphone.
The first time you run Examplify, you will be prompted to allow Examplify to use system resources, including your camera and microphone. You must grant permission to ensure that Examplify can fully monitor your eye movement. You must also agree to the consent agreement about collecting your biometric data.
Once the exam starts, the software starts recording automatically. The recording also includes audio to monitor any interactions you may have during the exam.
- The student must fully view the webcam during the exam to avoid being flagged.
- When using a laptop, Examplify can only detect your webcam and not the screen.
- When using a desktop computer, Examplify can detect both your webcam and the screen.
- When using a laptop that is connected to an external monitor, Examplify can detect your webcam and the external monitor.
Can Examplify detect if you collaborate with other students during an exam?
Only if you use means that are detectable by the software, as mentioned above. However, students have devised new methods to cheat in exams that are not detectable by Examplify.
How to cheat on Examplify
1. Using a phone
You can use your phone to pass your Examplify tests. By sharing answers on chats or text messages. Or by having answers on their phones.
2. Using multiple machines/computers
You can easily cheat by having 1 computer with the exam open and a different computer for research and chatting with classmates.
3. Using a Virtual Machine (VM)
You can create a virtual machine on their MacBook using virtualization software like Parallels or Vmware Fusion. Then open the browser from the Mac operating system and search the internet for the answers to the questions asked in the exam.
Does Examplify track your keystrokes?
Yes. Examplify takes a screenshot of the computer desktop with each keystroke and mouse click.
Can Examplify detect if you copy and paste answers?
Yes, it can. The Examplify software can detect copy-pasting during the exam and will report it to your dean. The software can do the following actions below to prevent exam takers from copying and pasting information from other sources;
READ ALSO: How to Write a Lab Report
- Locking the clipboard so that you are unable to copy and paste the content into the exam,
- Disabling the Windows Task Manager to ensure you cannot open any other application on the computer, and
- Disabling the right-click function so you cannot pull up a separate browser window with information.
However, in some instances, students can copy-paste answers in their exam from the Mac browser to Windows VM running the Examplify app.
What are the consequences of cheating on an Examplify exam?
Examplify reports you to your dean or exam supervisor should it suspect you are cheating. This can lead to disciplinary action from your university if the accusations are proven to be true.
To minimize the risk of being flagged by Examsoft monitoring, ensure you do the following;
- Use only one webcam during the exam.
- Remove all textbooks, notes, scratch paper, sticky notes, cell phones, or other materials from the workspace.
- Remove headphones from your laptop.
- Turn the volume all the way up on your laptop.
- Remove earbuds from your person.
Essayaxe.com provides essay writing services that can increase your chances of improving your overall semester score.
Top-quality papers guaranteed
100% original papers
We sell only unique pieces of writing completed according to your demands.
We use security encryption to keep your personal data protected.
We can give your money back if something goes wrong with your order.
Enjoy the free features we offer to everyone
Get a free title page formatted according to the specifics of your particular style.
Request us to use APA, MLA, Harvard, Chicago, or any other style for your essay.
Don’t pay extra for a list of references that perfectly fits your academic needs.
24/7 support assistance
Ask us a question anytime you need to—we don’t charge extra for supporting you!
Calculate how much your essay costs
What we are popular for
- English 101
- Business Studies