How to Write a Current Event Essay: Tips, Structure, Topics, Example
Students are often tasked with the responsibility of how to write a current events essay paper. This paper assesses their research, writing, and editing skills. It also helps them keep tabs on the occurrences in the world and draw a relationship between them and their possible effects.
When writing this kind of paper, reflecting on a situation and exercising your critical thinking and creativity is essential. This writing also develops your argumentative and persuasive skills.
What Is a Current Events Essay?
Unlike most papers, a current events essay focuses on clearly and effectively outlining a particular phenomenon, situation, or happening. The event has to be interesting enough to draw most people’s attention and evoke different emotions from them. On rare occasions, this kind of writing could also describe an event that has yet to occur.
This kind of writing requires you to address the phenomenon’s historical context, current state, and potential effects. As a result, your topics will relate to concepts in fields such as technology, politics, medicine and health, sociology, science, international relations, law, and controversial societal issues and standards.
Current Event Paper Format
Having defined what this kind of paper is about, how about diving into details about its format? Before getting into intricate details about event paper writing, how about taking a detour to learn more about EssayAxe? We are a cheap essay writing service you can confidently rely on. These are the reasons why you should hire us to work on your assignment:
- We guarantee authenticity in our service. Our team researches assignments and ensures the final result is not plagiarised. Furthermore, we do not have any database; hence, you never have to worry about your project being sold to someone else.
- We have a policy for up to 100% money back. If you are unsatisfied with the results and wish to have your money refunded, you can apply for it. The amount of money you will recover depends on the time spent working on your paper. You will recover all your money if you cancel your order and initiate the refund before the service provider starts working on your paper.
- We guarantee a timely response on our contact platforms provided on our page. Our live chat also guarantees prompt response regardless of the time.
- Our revision policy covers our clients and ensures orders meet their needs at no additional charges.
- You can trust us to guarantee our clients’ confidentiality. We value our clients trusting us with their data and can never share it with third parties. We operate in compliance with the new GDPR rules.
- Our rates are student-friendly, and hiring us could save time and help you earn good grades.
How Do You Write a Summary of an Event?
Back to the format of writing current events papers, these steps will help you better approach this kind of essay. They will also help you avoid writer’s block and develop a well-structured essay. Follow these steps on how to write a current events report:
1. Select an Exciting Topic
Your tutor may provide a specific topic or instructions for this essay. On other occasions, they might ask you to select a topic and write an essay about it. The latter might sound easy, even though most students fail at approaching it. Therefore, you must be very careful when choosing a topic for your writing.
Before settling on a topic, go through the tutor’s instructions to establish the constraints of your essay’s topic. Some tutors specify the timeframe of the events they want to write about. Others limit the subject or field they want the writing to be about. Some instructions will also dictate the tone of your paper. For instance, an analytical essay should not have a descriptive tone.
Current Events Essay Topics
How do I make my current event article engaging and interesting? The first step is to choose the right topic. Focus on your notes or news outlets for ideas on what to write about. Ask for insights from your mates or tutor. Alternatively, consult our team for information on what to write about.
Meanwhile, here are examples of current events to write about:
- How can we control inflation?
- Should college be free?
- Should all college debt be forgiven?
- Is the U.S. going to go into recession?
- Was the defunding of police departments a good idea?
- What should be the rules for the repayment of college loans?
- Is the U.S. economy becoming stronger or weaker?
- How important is it to reduce the Federal budget deficit?
- Should the death penalty be outlawed throughout the U.S.?
- Should the United States raise the minimum wage for workers?
- How is COVID-19 changing working in America? Around the world?
- Does it make sense to give U.S. citizenship to all babies born in the United States?
- What is causing the increasingly high cost of healthcare in the United States?
- Does better health care for everyone make a better and stronger economy in the U.S.?
- How should the U.S. respond to cyber hacking by Russia, China, and other countries?
2. Choose a Reputable News Source and Select an Article
What are some good sources for finding current events to write about? You could base your essay on sources like media publications. Some of them include:
- New ELA
- NY Times
- National News
- Sports News
- The Atlantic
- BBC News
- Daily Mail
- The Economist
- The Guardian
- TIME Magazine
- The Harvard Business Review
- National Public Radio (NPR)
- CNN News
- USA Today
- The Wall Street Journal
- The Washington Post
Remember, your source should be credible, reliable, and reputable. It should have a history of writing trustworthy news. You could also base your essay on publications on empirical journal articles, government documents, scholarly books, and peer-reviewed articles.
3. Read the Selected Article Keenly and Take Notes
After specifying the article you want to write about, read through it carefully, jotting down important details. If you are unsure about the vocabulary used in the article, look it up and note the contextual meaning of words. Identify the five Ws in the article:
- What happened?
- Where did it happen?
- When did it happen?
- Who was involved?
- Why did it happen?
- How did it happen?
Answers to these questions will help develop an angle for your analysis. It will also help build key sections of your essay like the lead sentences, thesis statement, title, claims, and arguments.
Read Also: Can You Plagiarize Yourself and What Are the Consequences?
4. Develop a Thesis Statement and Hook for Your Essay
How do you start an event essay? Using your notes, develop a thesis statement for your essay. Ensure you are creative enough to come up with a unique statement. In the same breath, it should be strong enough to form the basis of your arguments.
For instance, if you are writing about human trafficking during the COVID-19 pandemic, here is an example of a thesis statement and hook statement.
It is time for world leaders, law enforcement agencies, and investigative agencies to team up and develop structures and measures to curb human trafficking, especially during natural disasters and pandemics.
A study by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crimes revealed that the COVID-19 pandemic had dire effects on the victims and survivors of human trafficking; there was an increased targeting exploitation of women and children.
5. Choose the Sources You Wish to Use to Support the Thesis
How do I make sure my current event article is accurate and unbiased? Establish the sources you wish to use to determine the scope of your essay. They have to be credible. If your instructions specify the sources for your paper, bear that in mind. When researching, highlight the specific pages with information you will use to support your arguments.
How do I cite my sources in a current event article? The style depends on the instructions specified by your tutor.
READ ALSO: Best Conclusion Generator Top 5 Ones That Work
6. Create an Outline
Your current events essay should follow the five-paragraph essay format:
- 3 body paragraphs
The three body paragraphs should include arguments backing up the thesis statement.
How do I write a strong introduction for my current event article? The introduction paragraph should brief the reader on the event’s details by answering the five Ws. Remember not to make it too long; five to six sentences should work.
The details of the first body paragraphs should explain the factors that led to the event and how they influenced it. The second paragraph should highlight the two sides people can take regarding the event and provide adequate reasons for it. The third paragraph should explain the significance of the event and who it will impact.
How do I conclude my current event article effectively? The conclusion should summarize the crucial details of the writing. It should also discuss the possibility of bias in the article, reflect on how bias informs how the article was created and why it was essential to highlight the event’s significance.
What Are Some Common Mistakes to Avoid When Writing a Current Event Article?
These are the most commonly highlighted mistakes students make with this kind of writing:
- Spelling errors
- Pronoun errors
- Using irrelevant images
- •Direct rewriting of original news
- Lack of clarity
- Too much or little details
If you were wondering how to write a current events essay, these details help you write your paper. If you need help, reach out to us.
Top-quality papers guaranteed
100% original papers
We sell only unique pieces of writing completed according to your demands.
We use security encryption to keep your personal data protected.
We can give your money back if something goes wrong with your order.
Enjoy the free features we offer to everyone
Get a free title page formatted according to the specifics of your particular style.
Request us to use APA, MLA, Harvard, Chicago, or any other style for your essay.
Don’t pay extra for a list of references that perfectly fits your academic needs.
24/7 support assistance
Ask us a question anytime you need to—we don’t charge extra for supporting you!
Calculate how much your essay costs
What we are popular for
- English 101
- Business Studies