How to Write an Appendix
Submitting the perfect academic paper is every student’s dream. However, it requires more than the contents of the paper. The format accounts for a significant chunk of the score, hence the need to get this aspect right. These informative details on how to write an appendix will go a long way in helping you improve your score. So, check them out.
What Is an Appendix in an Essay?
But first, what is an appendix? Look at it like the appendix in the human body. A document refers to a section containing supplementary information that is unnecessary to the document’s main body. Its content includes a summary of the document’s raw data, tables, and diagrams.
This content is mainly beneficial to the author. The primary point you should remember is that the details in this section are non-essential. Your academic paper would still be understandable without them.
The significance of this section is:
- To accommodate details that, if included in the text, would interfere with its structure.
- It includes supporting and helpful information that would otherwise be considered clutter, fluff, and distractive to the reader.
Some academic projects might require you to provide this section. So, go through these steps as they unpack the tips on how to write and format it appropriately.
How Do You Write an Appendix Example?
The format for writing appendices varies depending on your tutor’s instructions. You might be unsure about writing an appendix in a report. Save the time you would have spent writing it by reaching out to EssayAxe. We are a team of competent and committed academic service providers that offer services at student-friendly prices.
We pride ourselves in tailor-making results to meet our client’s needs and allow for numerous revisions at no additional costs. Our money-back option is guaranteed, so you do not have to worry about canceling your order. Nonetheless, we guarantee an outstanding and well-written paper within the stipulated time.
How Do You Write an Appendix for a Paper?
Meanwhile, go through this article as we debunk the different formats of writing an appendix ranging from MLA, APA, Harvard and Chicago styles.
How Do You Do a Simple Appendix?
Sometimes, your tutor might not specify the formatting style they wish you to use. In this case, you might consider the general format for writing an appendix in a report. It is straightforward, and it makes the other styles easier to understand. So, if you were unsure of how to write an appendix for a dissertation or a book, this is the format you need to follow:
- Heading “Appendix #”
- Reference list
- Index table
- Page number
How to Write an Appendix in APA
Most professors prefer this formatting style; hence, this guideline will be helpful. These are the sections that make up an appendix in APA:
- Start with “Appendix” followed by ABC, usually written on the appendix title
- The details in the appendix should encompass the information on the paper
- This section should be included in the reference list
- Include the appendix’s page numbers
- Appendices should be assigned their own pages regardless of their length
- Include footnotes
MLA Appendix Format
The format in MLA is similar to the APA format. The primary difference between APA and MLA is that in MLA, it comes before the reference list. These are its features in MLA:
- ABC titling for multiple appendices
- Every appendix should chronologically follow every detail in the paper
- The section should have a page number
- Every entry should be assigned a page regardless of its size
How to Write an Appendix Harvard Style
If you are creating an appendix for a research paper, these are its features in Harvard style:
- Label the appendices with (A) or (1)
- Do not reference the whole appendix section if referring to your appendices. Instead, signpost it in your text.
- Include a citation at the bottom of the text if your appendix consists of text entirely written by someone else. Include a full reference in your list.
- If you wish to refer to an appendix in someone else’s work, include that detail in the citation.
- Journals and books are referenced the normal way you reference your list.
Appendix for a Business Plan in Chicago Style
These are the features your business plan should have if you are compliant with the Chicago formatting style:
- Have it before the Bibliography
- If you have more than one appendix, name the first one as Appendix A and the second as Appendix B.
- Appendices should appear in the order that information is mentioned in your essay.
- Each appendix should be on a new page
What Is an Appendix Example?
Highlighted below is an example in APA format:
Effects of Cell Phones.
The essay highlights the positive and negative impacts of using mobile phones.
The word “big boxes” is descriptive of old-fashioned phones. In the 2010s, cell phones were slightly advanced and could perform multiple functions like sending and receiving SMS messages, video messages and accessing social media. The academic paper also highlights how nearly the whole world’s population owns a mobile phone, regardless of their economic status. Another beneficiary of the evolution is the workplace. It has significantly benefitted from mobile phones. With phones, communication is more straightforward and publishing anything on workspaces is possible. Workers in different departments can communicate effectively regardless of their distance. Absent colleagues can also keep in touch with their workmates using their cell phones.
As we sign off, it is important to carefully review the requirements as highlighted by your tutor when writing any academic paper. So, if you are stuck and worried about how to write an appendix for your academic paper, this article serves as a guide to help you face the fear. You want to be careful not to make any mistakes.
Nonetheless, if you do not want to go through the laborious process of not knowing whether you are doing the right thing, consider reaching out to EssayAxe. We are one call away and ready to help you ace your paper at an affordable rate.
Top-quality papers guaranteed
100% original papers
We sell only unique pieces of writing completed according to your demands.
We use security encryption to keep your personal data protected.
We can give your money back if something goes wrong with your order.
Enjoy the free features we offer to everyone
Get a free title page formatted according to the specifics of your particular style.
Request us to use APA, MLA, Harvard, Chicago, or any other style for your essay.
Don’t pay extra for a list of references that perfectly fits your academic needs.
24/7 support assistance
Ask us a question anytime you need to—we don’t charge extra for supporting you!
Calculate how much your essay costs
What we are popular for
- English 101
- Business Studies